Domestic Relations FAQ

Please refer to

Court Rule 19

Fees & Deposits Effective 3/23/15

The Clerk’s office strongly recommends that you seek legal counseling before starting the divorce or dissolution procedure.

Legal Aid for our area is located in New Philadelphia, Ohio (330) 339-3998 or 1-800-686-3670 and can also be reached on their website at:

A Notice of Final Appealable Order is a decision rendered by the Judge or Magistrate that is appealable, or can be reversed (child support decisions, custody issues ect.) Parties have 30 days to file an appeal with the Court of Appeals on a decision rendered by a Judge. If a magistrate rendered the decision, parties have 14 days to file an appeal with the Supervising Judge. If you do not want to appeal the decision, please disregard the notice.

To file a Notice to Relocate, you may print the from from this website and either bring it to the Clerk of Courts office or you may mail it to : Clerk of Courts Domestic Relations Division, 801 Wheeling Ave., Rm D-205, Cambridge, Ohio 43725. A copy of your notice will be sent to the other party.

The procedure for a Change of Address is the same; you make print the form from this website or write a letter including your name, the Domestic Relations Case Name and Number, and your new address. This information will be placed with the rest of your Domestic file.

If the divorce or dissolution was granted in Guernsey County you may contact the Clerk of Courts Domestic Relation Division at (740) 432-9230 or write to us at: 801 Wheeling Ave., Rm. D-205 Cambridge, Ohio 43725. Please make certain to include the parties’ first and last names during the marriage, the year the case was filed, and the case number if available.

The court uses The Haven of Hope as its advocate. Please contact the Haven of Hope at (740) 439-7233 they are located at: 927 Wheeling Avenue, Cambridge, Ohio 43725. They will help you complete your paper work

Additional Information:

A liaison will assist you in filling out the necessary paperwork. After the paperwork has been completed, you will be taken to the courtroom and an ex-parte hearing will be held (in which only you are present). If the Judge finds reasonable cause, he/she will issue a temporary order commanding the respondent (person you are getting the order against) to maintain a certain distance from you, vacate any shared residence, or to take, or not take, certain actions as deemed applicable.

A copy of the order will be delivered to the Guernsey County Sheriff’s office who will attempt to serve a copy of the order to the respondent. The order is not in effect until it has been served.

A full, or final hearing will be scheduled for 7 to 10 days after the petition is field. The temporary order will remain in effect until this hearing. At the final hearing, the Judge or Magistrate will decide whether to put a full order into effect and for how long.

The entire process can take a few hours. If you arrive after 3:00 PM, your request may not be processed until the next day due the time it takes to fill out the forms, speak to a judge, and have the sheriff’s issue the order.

All filings with the Court must be in motion form and following the guidelines set forth in the Court of Common Pleas Local Rule 19. The Motion to Continue must state the reason why you are asking for the continuance and attach any pertinent information to your motion.