US Passport Office:


By the authority of the President of the United States, the Secretary of State has designated various categories of persons who are authorized to accept passport applications. One of those categories is the Clerk of the State Court of Record and pursuant to that authority, the Clerk of Courts in Guernsey County is accepting passport applications as a service to the public.

This information will answer the most common questions regarding passport applications and will provide information regarding the passport application service offered by the Guernsey County Clerk of Courts.

What are your hours?
Do I need an appointment?
The Clerk of Courts never requires an appointment for any of its services. We provide passport services Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at 801 Wheeling Ave, Cambridge, OH 43725

Do Children need passports?
All Persons including newborns are required to obtain passports in their own names. All minors must appear in person with both parents and legal guardians to execute the passport application.
Effective February 1, 2008, children under age 16 require BOTH parents’ signatures.
(As provided by public law 106-113, sect. 236)

For more information visit:

Must I apply in person?
You must always apply in person. Applicants, 16 yrs. of age and older must sign in person.
All Children under the age of 16 years of age must be present.

Who may apply for a passport by mail?
You may apply for a renewal passport by mail if:

1. You already have a passport.
2. Your most recent passport was issued within the past 15 years.
3. You were 16 years of age or older at the time it was issued.

If your passport has been mutilated or violated in any manner you may not apply by mail.

What documents should I bring?
A passport application must be accompanied by four items:
1. Proof of U. S. citizenship.
2. Proof of identity.
3. Two photographs.
4. Required fees.

Proof of U. S. Citizenship

Submit a previous U.S. passport or a certified copy of a birth certificate. Children under 16 require both. If no birth certificate was issued, secondary evidence may be submitted for consideration.

*Secondary records, which should have been created as close to the applicant’s date of birth as possible, should contain information pertaining to the applicant’s date and place of birth, may include baptismal certificates, circumcision or other religious records, hospital birth records, early census records, school, insurance records, family bible records, personal diaries, ship’s logs or newspaper files regarding the birth. Affidavits completed by a parent or older blood relative or physician, nurse, or midwife who attended the birth may also be submitted for consideration.

When using secondary evidence, a notice from the registrar of vital statistics, where birth occurred, must be obtained stating that no birth record is on file.

Proof of identity:
(Submit one of the following)
1. A previous U. S. Passport.
2. A valid driver’s license.
3. A valid Military I.D. card.
4. A valid State I.D. card.

Two photographs are required which must have been taken within the last six months. They must be identical, 2”X 2”, and must be color. The photographs must be full frontal or whole face view without any part of head or hair cut off. No dark glasses or hats may be worn. Photos must have a white or off-white background.
(Vending machine photos are not acceptable.)

Where can I get a passport photo?
We can take them here in our office also, some photography studios, AAA, (Triple A-Auto Club) and some department or pharmacy stores supply passport photos.

Fees for a passport are as follows:

Normal Processing:
Must have Check or M.O. payable to U.S. Dept. of State:
*$110.00 for 10-yr. passport (age 16 and over)
*$80.00 for 5-yr. passport (age 15 and under)
A processing fee of $25.00 payable to Clerk of Courts by check, money order or cash, credit card, debit card. A 3% additional fee is charged for credit cards. We can take pictures here in our office for an additional fee of $10.00.

Expediting Processing:
(Must have check or M.O. payable to U.S. Dept. of State)
*$184.85 for 10-yr. passport (age 16 and over)
*$154.85 for 5-yr. passport (age 15 and under)
A processing fee of $44.99 payable to Clerk of Courts by check, money order or cash, credit card, r debit card. A 3% additional fee is charged for credit cards.
The Passport fee must be paid by check only to the U.S. Dept. of State, an additional processing fee can be paid by cash, credit card, (Visa or MasterCard) debit card or check or money order payable to the Clerk of Courts.

Allow 4 to 8 weeks from the time you submit an application to the time you receive your passport.

If you are leaving on an emergency trip in less than two weeks, apply in person to the nearest passport agency and present your completed passport application with all necessary paperwork.

You may also apply at the Clerk of Courts Office for an expedited passport. An expedited passport is guaranteed by the U.S. Passport Agency to be processed and received within 2-3 weeks.

There is an additional fee required by the U.S. Passport Service for the expedited passport. The applicant is also responsible for the express mail postage. One check payable to U.S. Dept. of State for: Age 16 and over – $184.85, Age 15 and under – $154.85. Cash, credit card or debit card, check, or money order payable to the Clerk of Courts for $44.99. We take photos in our office for an additional $10. One label addressed to applicant, and one overnight Express Mailer (from Post Office) addressed to: National Passport Processing Center, P.O Box 13546, Philadelphia, PA 19101-3546.

We will give you an “expedite” sticker to adhere to the front and back
of the express mailer addressed to the passport agency.

In most cases this is the name shown on the evidence of citizenship, or in the case of a married woman, the husband’s surname which may have been assumed at the time of marriage. A woman may not apply for a passport using a name she expects to acquire by a future marriage. The passport however may be amended after the marriage in the married name.

If the applicant’s name has been changed other than by marriage, such as being incorrectly recorded or not recorded at birth, the change of a given name during childhood, nicknames, a “professional or religious” name, exclusive use of a maiden or previous married surname, the use of a stepfather’s surname by minors will require additional documentation to support the name presently used. Consult with the Clerk of Courts Office to discuss any particular circumstances where there is a change of name.

The above information is intended to answer only the most frequently asked questions which we receive. If you need additional or more detailed information, we will be happy to explain any of these procedures to you by calling the Guernsey County Clerk of Courts Office.

Revised: 03/15/15